The Wesleyan Methodist Connection planted the Fountain City Wesleyan Church in 1843. Due to a small membership and scarce funds, FCWC was part of a circuit of churches that shared a pastor who traveled from church to church preaching. For years the circuit had a succession of short-term pastors, both men and women. Over the next 100+ years the church had cycles of growth and decline, but God was always faithful.
In 1979 the church began to emphasize evangelism and discipleship. God honored their efforts and the first year the church attendance grew from an average of 50 in morning worship to an average of 74. The church continued to grow and in 1981 the church expanded its facilities by constructing additional classrooms and a fellowship hall. It was expected the addition would accommodate the needs of the church through the year 2000 A.D, but God had other plans for FCWC.
In 1989 God revealed His vision for the church’s ministry to the Fountain City/Greater Richmond area. The vision included: reaching young families with children, a dynamic teen ministry, and a new building on US 27 between Richmond and Fountain City. The Lord asked the church if they would be a church He could work through. They said, “Yes, we are willing.” It seemed the Lord put His plan into action immediately as more souls gave their hearts to the Lord and attendance continued to grow.
In September of 1990 FCWC took a step of faith and started two services. Both services quickly filled and the church found the current facilities were not adequate to accommodate the growth. In September of 1992 the congregation moved Sunday morning worship services to Northeastern High School cafeteria.
Not long after moving to the school the Lord impressed upon a faithful church member (Mary McQuiston) to offer 15 acres of her farmland for the church to build on. Providentially it fronted US 27 between Richmond and Fountain City. In 1995 a 400-seat auditorium was built and the church moved into its new home. God continued to bless and the church continued to reach new people. The church began to offer a third service and then a fourth service. By 2001 it was clear that their facility was inadequate.
Once again the temporary solution was to go back to the school, this time to the Northeastern High School gymnasium. From September of 2001 to the spring of 2005 every Sunday morning volunteers set up church at 6:00am and stayed till everything was torn down that same afternoon. By June of 2005 a 20,000 square foot addition was built to house an 800-seat auditorium, atrium and student ministry space. The auditorium built in 1995 was renovated into Children’s ministry space. The church averaged nearly 1000 attendees in 3 weekend services.
In 2009 God began to reveal a new vision: to become a church with multiple locations. After much prayer and research, in October of 2011 FCWC launched The Well, a satellite campus that meets in Richmond at Dennis Middle School on Sunday mornings at 11:00am. The satellite church has a live band and the preaching pastor typically preaches the message that was preached the prior week at the Main Campus.
God is continuing to pour out His blessing on FCWC. Over the last 169 years FCWC has moved many times and seen pastoral and staff transitions, but God has been faithful. The church is not about a building or a pastor or a staff member, but it is about the people of God who are on a mission to reach every family in the greater Wayne County area and beyond with the hope of Jesus. Even with such a rich past we believe there are greater days ahead for FCWC.